phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Migrating from PHP5 to PHP7

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Phineus
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:53 am 
Post subject: Migrating from PHP5 to PHP7

Greetz,

I'm running an extensively modified phpBB 2.0.23 but encountered several problems while migrating to a new server. The most significant change has been PHP5 to PHP7. I began working through the fixes but soon realized I had a pile of work ahead. So...

I arrived here through https://github.com/ebourg/phpbb2

The reason I'm here. As much as I am tempted to suggest my visitors resist change tooth and nail, they would probably adapt if it was absolutely necessary. Rather, my problem is centered on spam/bot registrations. To that end the good folks at phpbb.com adamantly refuse to implement precautions I require, that are simple to implement, and already exist in the older version of the forum. It boggles the mind, it really does. So, I've stuck with v2, moderately modded by others and by myself.

Question 1. Is the github download the most up to date version of phpbb 2? If so, I'll run it to see what's what. Thanks.

Question 2. Am I correct in assuming the refugee version comes equipped with the Anti-Spam ACP Created by Exreaction? Or at least something equally versatile and capable?

Question 3. Are there any PHP5 to PHP7 traps I should be wary of falling into?

Thanks for your time, insights, and the site!

==========

[ Update ]

I have uploaded the refugees github files to my server. Unfortunately, there seems to be an incompatibility problem that is causing grief between PHP7 and the database. Thusly, with the database created and populated with data...

If I manually edit the config.php file to access the forum I get:

"CRITICAL_ERROR, Could not connect to the database"

This is the message at the bottom of db.php that corresponds with a failed connection.

If I try to use the install script to re-create the config.php file I get:

"The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose"

It doesn't matter what kind of database I select.

I found a handy dandy script (that can probably be adapted to our purposes) that gets right to the point.

https://activecollab.com/help/books/troubleshooting/php-and-mysql-up-grade

My set up is Debian 9

PHP version: 7.0.33-0+deb9u3 (newest available)

Extension mbstring is reported missing but it's not available with apt-get

MariaDB version is 10.1.38-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 (newest available) - which is really annoying because I installed mysql but got MariaDB instead.

So far, I'm no further ahead than when I began.

Thanks again for any insights.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:46 pm 
Post subject: Re: Migrating from PHP5 to PHP7

however you wind up solving the problems you are having with php and mysql versions not being compatible with phpbb2, the issue with spambot registrations has been solved by phpbb 3.x.x for several years.

the basic idea is the same as the MOD that has been available for phpbb2 for all those years.

you have a question that requires an answer for registration. the question has to be something that google can not solve because the spam bots can use google just like we can.

phpbb3 has this built in and it was a MOD for phpbb2

robert
Phineus
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 am 

Thank you, Robert, for your response.

My next step will be to uninstall MariaDB and attempt to install mysql proper. I understand this issue is not directly related to phpbb but, because it cripples the board, it is a concern all the same. For whatever it might be worth, I'll report back on my progress.

Regarding spambot registrations, the issue is only partially resolved. Captchas and questions are indeed helpful. But the ability to deny URL/Links in posts, as far as I'm aware (aka the last time I looked into it), has never been implemented since the v2 ACP. On my board I also deny private messages based on post count. It's been a while so I don't recall v3 capabilities. When I approached the developers with my concerns I was shot down point blank and since that time I've lost all interest in upgrading. I don't have the time to reinstall mods after every change nor to manually screen all new registrations... especially when a few simple safeguards take care of the business quickly and easily.

And so there's no misunderstanding, I do indeed like many features of v3. I don't care for some of the control panel but once set up it has a lot to offer. Why the developers begrudge a couple simple extra safeguards is bewildering. Surely I'm not the only one who would benefit from them. But even if not, anybody could take the advice I was given: if I don't want a feature, just ignore it or turn it off. The same could be done with the features I require so I don't understand why they're denied consideration. But so it goes. Until this compatibility problem arose, I've been working very nearly twenty years with php2 and once this hiccup is sorted out I'm confident php2 can stand in for another twenty.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 am 

just to be clear , I am not being a phpbb3 fanboy here. I just want to clear up misunderstandings about how it works.

if you have a good question for registration that can not be googled for the answer and you set the first post to need approval, you will stop 99.99% of all spam problems. nothing wrong with not allowing posting of urls but if you stop them with the first post you won't get anyone spamming urls to begin with.

this method of blocking spam has been working very well for millions of phpbb3 users for all these years.

as to having to reinstall MODs at every update, that is simply not the way it works since phpbb 3.1 and the development of extensions.

MODs have been replaced with extensions that are stand alone. there is no longer any editing of code except for custom styles.

therefore, there is no need to reinstall anything when updating etc.

I can't answer as to why or how you were "shot down" by the developers when you asked for changes.
what I can say is that the whole point of phpbb has been to make it a very basic bulletin board script and leave everything else to the individual
owner to install as they wish.
IF you were complaining that your ideas should be added to the core then I understand that you would not get a good reception considering the basic philosophy
of phpbb.

If you were requesting things that were already part of phpbb3 or that were already extensions then you would have got a negative response for those as well.

oh well, you didn't come here for a rant about phpbb3
sorry,

luck,

robert
Phineus
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 am 

-- you didn't come here for a rant

No worries. We're just talking over ideas. No harm done.

In the mean-time I've made a couple steps forward but one backward too that I haven't quite sorted yet. Hopefully I'm close to reporting on something positive soon.
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:41 pm 

Quote:
My next step will be to uninstall MariaDB and attempt to install mysql proper. I understand this issue is not directly related to phpbb but, because it cripples the board, it is a concern all the same. For whatever it might be worth, I'll report back on my progress.
MariaDB and MySQL share a lot, in fact MariaDB started from MySQL itself.

The github link you posted was made by a single member more than a year ago, who worked on it for a month or so. I think we all took our time to update our own phpBB2's
It's not a "refugee version". We don't have anything like that.

I made a few posts for PHP5->7 upgrade, mostly for DB stuff, but it might still be useful.

If you don't have any mods from phpBB2 you want to make use of, then you might not need phpBB2. Otherwise, welcome aboard icon_smile.gif

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Phineus
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 am 

-- If you don't have any mods from phpBB2 you want to make use of, then you might not need phpBB2.

There are a couple essentials I use. As far as I'm aware, phpBB2 is a must. That said, the links in your signature look intriguing. IntegraMOD in particular but I'm not clear on the 'premod' concept.

-- The github link you posted was...

... plain manilla envelope, unmodded. Handy to see how to get it working but ultimately won't stand in. I'll have to adapt the changes to my old board's files.

-- I made a few posts for PHP5->7 up-grade

I got the github link working with PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u3 on MySQL 8. I've had a peek at your post history. I 'think' I should be able to make use of a few of them. I'll have a thorough read before asking questions.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 pm 

I do maintain a certain number of phpBB2 "flavors", but if you wanted to go the IntegraMOD/xxx route, you'd probably need to convert the data to the right format -- it most probably wouldn't work as-is. Fairly sure we have a conversion script, but it probably hasn't been tested in quite a few years, so that needs dusted off ..icon_smile.gif
Phineus
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:09 am 

No need to dust off anything. I don't mind asking for insights, and even for a tweak here or there, especially if it contributes back to the overall project, but I won't impose.

Related, I have looked at phpbb3. Similar problems tho. Not a clean conversion and php/mysql miscues.

Ideally, an out-of-the-box install is preferable but doesn't look like that's going to happen for me. So I'll keep fiddling. And the first thing I can get functioning will probably stay the course for at least the medium term future.
vlad77
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:37 am 

About spambots.
Spam in its significant part left phpbb2, some of the bots are not able to spam on phpbb2.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm 

well, I guess if you stick with it long enough most everybody including the spammers/spambots just lose interest and move on the the current thing.

once somebody came up with the question/answer MOD for phpbb2 most of the spam problems went away.

the biggest problem phpbb2 had in the early days was simply hacking. advances in the coding and some MODs I guess, really solved a lot of that problem in the later versions. phpbb had a terrible rep around the net for being easy to hack.

since hardly anyone uses it anymore, the hackers, like the spammers, have moved on to new software .
having said that, they are not having much luck with phpbb3. there has not been a successful hack of phpbb3 code that anyone has heard of and like I said earlier, spam can be controlled with built in functions now.

robert
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm 

A big part of it, also, was very insecure PHP defaults, at a time where people just installed PHP onto their server and called it a day.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group