phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anyone got a solution for this?

Hi, please try with this one.

privmsg.php.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  privmsg.php.zip
 Filesize:  16.3 KB
 Downloaded:  46 Time(s)

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:48 pm 

Fantastic - MANY thanks.
All is now working as it should.
What was the problem with the file? It is strange that there had been no problems with the PM's for over 15 years and suddenly one occurs.

Thanks again
Jim

Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 pm 

I have no idea. Sometimes the PM counters get out of sync with reality. I think there's a button somewhere in the ACP to resync PM counters (or maybe a mob adds that, I can't remember).

Anyways my change just makes sure it can't try to go to -1, only stay at 0 at worse.

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:11 am 

I guess this is out of sync with reality. Looking through the database I am not the only one with an odd number in that field but out of around 2000 members there are only a handful of us with those sort of figures.
I had tried reducing that number to the number of unread messages but it had no effect.
Thanks again for providing a solution to the errors.

Jim

privmsg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.23 KB
 Viewed:  32 Time(s)

privmsg.jpg

drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:39 am 

The problem is probably related to the fact that the data type is too small. In the standard phpBB table structure, user_unread_provmsg is a smallint(5) unsigned value. That means that the maximum value that it can contain is 65535.

I don't know what that field does, as one of the first things I did was rip out the PM system, and I never looked back. icon_smile.gif But the fact that you're seeing weirdness and that it's a very small data type would lead me to believe that something is either too big for the field, and causing an overflow, or something else is going wrong.

If you are brave, you could increase the size of that field (also the user_new_privmsg) from smallint(5) to mediumint(8) which should give you plenty of room to continue to grow.

More on MySQL data types here:

https://www.techonthenet.com/mysql/datatypes.php

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:53 am 

Thanks Dave. I am at a loss to explain what went wrong after 15 years of it working faultlessly. My error followed closely on another user experiencing a similar but not identical problem. I have made no changes to the private messages nor anything else for years so expected it to be a glitch in the database. I ran a repair on the database tables expecting it to solve the issue but of course it didn't.
Thanks to fellow members here the problem whilst not solved has had a band aid put on it.
Should the problem return I will make the change to mediumint(8)

Hope you are keeping well Dave - we hear on the news that the Covid-19 situation in the USA is claiming far more victims than elsewhere.

Stay safe
Jim

drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Thanks Dave. I am at a loss to explain what went wrong after 15 years of it working faultlessly.

It's precisely because you've been running for 15 years that this could be a problem. icon_smile.gif

As I mentioned, I have no idea what this field actually is used for. But if it's a counter that increments, and you've been incrementing for 15 years, eventually you would exceed the capability of a smallint() field to store the value and it would mess up the code. I can anticipate that the original phpBB2 devs were trying to be conservative of disk / RAM space and used the smaller value because of that.

Quote:
Hope you are keeping well Dave - we hear on the news that the Covid-19 situation in the USA is claiming far more victims than elsewhere.

Thank you for your concerns and well wishes. We did have a scare where my wife was exposed to someone who later tested positive but we have both been tested and are fine. My office is closed for the remainder of the year (but I still have a job, working remote). My wife works in the school system. icon_eek.gif We are worried about her way more than me...

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group