phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Responsive Style?

Search this topic... | Search Styles Development & Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » Styles Development & Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
b0blee
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 am 
Post subject: Responsive Style?

Switching styles for mobile isn't the best approach anymore. Has anyone succeeded in developing a responsive style for phpBB2 using the layout features of HTML5? I've been trying but I'm not well versed in the new paradigm. I'm looking for a style that works well on mobile, tablet and desktop. It would be nice if it was also backwards compatible for old computers, as most of my members are geezers.
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 pm 
Post subject: Re: Responsive Style?

I know of a few projects to use Bootstrap instead of tables in phpBB2, but AFAIK none got completed.
Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:07 pm 

Old computers shouldn't be a problem per se, but obsolete browsers can definitely be. You would probably want to use either a Flexbox or Grid layout, but both are buggy on the last version of Internet Explorer, for example, and Grid is plainly not supported on Opera Mini, which although not updated since 2015 still has more than 1% usage apparently. Then there's a number of other CSS features that one might want to use that may or may not be supported across the board. It would help to know your userbase better and see if you feel bold enough to leave some users behind if they refuse to update their software.

I personally feel like it would be a large enough undertaking that it would warrant moving on to another forum software if you can. You have to take into account that smartphones were barely or not yet a thing when phpBB2 development ended, and as far as I know even phpBB3 doesn't do mobile. Nothing in the code was designed for that sort of use, so you not only need to edit the CSS but add new language strings, change how certain data are passed to the template files, etc. If you want it to be responsive rather than to have two different templates, you also need to think about whether to keep all the information on both layouts. There's a lot of stuff on every page that's hard to cram into a mobile screen, but you probably don't want to take it away completely from those using a computer. Simple things like tapping on a smiley or BBCode button can be difficult on mobile unless you use an entire screen's worth of space to make them bigger. If you do, you probably don't want to display them by default but put them in a drawer. Replacing the HTML tables is only a very small part of the process if you want a quality mobile experience, unfortunately.

You can see some initial work I did here 3 years ago using Flexbox, that made me start to realize how daunting it would be to make it finger-friendly rather than just adapt to screen size visually icon_neutral.gif
b0blee
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I know it's hard to do - I've tried. I think that giving the user the ability to change styles solves the "old computer" problem. A modern style can be the default for unlogged and new members. The old guys can keep using what they're used to.

The emoticon block can definitely go away for mobile.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm 

If using php to define a smartphone, then you can give different templates.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:16 pm 

as mentioned above, it is not the age of the computer but the age of the browser being used.
If the user does not have a modern browser then it won't be able to understand the modern html/css etc.
having said that, the age of the computer could be a problem if the operating system can not install and run
a modern browser etc.

I wonder if your "geezers" are using modern devices like phones or tablets anyway.
I am one of those geezers. I don't have a smart phone and I do have a tablet that my 84 year old mother
gave me when she updated but like everything android, I instantly break it when I touch it.

anyway, there comes a time when you just can't make the old stuff work anymore and you have to make a decision
to update or not.
I know I have to face that question just about every day.

luck,
robrt
Register or Login to Post    Index » Styles Development & Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group