phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Onlly poster sees his posts!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm 
Post subject: Onlly poster sees his posts!

Hi,
I have a member who continually posts criticizing other folks posts and techniques they use when building model engines.
He is for ever asking me to delete other folks posts as they are "unsatisfactory". I am sure you know the type - everyone is out of step but himself.
I am sure there was a mod were you could make it so that the poster was the only one that saw his posts.
That way no one else would see that he was yet again criticizing their methods and posts. He may well wonder why no one is responding and other members would just assume he had given over his moaning. I don't want to ban him - guy is in mid 80's.

Does anyone happen to have this particular mod?

Jim

Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:10 pm 
Post subject: Re: Onlly poster sees his posts!

Hey,

I think the mod you’re talking about the SELF auth mod, but alas I’d mean everyone only sees their own posts.

I think you should add a check in the viewtopic loop, if poster id is that guy’s AND userdata user id is NOT that guy, hide post (continue;, for example).
Your call on whether guests should see his posts or not...

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:24 pm 

Thanks - I do remember the Self Auth mod (which I could never see the point of).
I could just do with a break from complaints about this guy and his attitude.
I do have the Troll Mod installed but then I would be bombarded by emails from him about the system being broken.
Something whereby you could go to the admin CP User Admin and set them as invisible posts to others would be great.
Thought I remembered such a mod but it is a long time ago and it may have been the Self Auth mod memory lingering in my brain.

Jim

Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:31 pm 

Self auth mod can be very useful. For example we have a forum where people request paid mods, and we don’t want others to see it. Another is when people use a topic as a blog of sorts — we use self auth to only allow topic authors to add new posts.

I’m on my phone, but I can maybe look at adding viewtopic instructions for you. Though your viewtopic must be very heavily modded... if you still have my email (from that one time 2 years ago), I can take a look, along with the user Id of the troll.
I’ll need to do a lot of tests though.

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:23 am 

I had a similar thought to Vendethiel. Could it be as simple as adding an extra condition to the query at line 390 (pull all data for this topic) like this?
Code:
AND p.poster_id != $thatguy

Assuming you define $thatguy shortly beforehand as the target's userid. You would need to have two copies of that SQL query; one unmodified for him only (where userdata corresponds to his account), and one modified like this for everyone else.

I think that while this would tackle the brunt of the issue, you would have some discrepancies showing up in various places, like the most recent post in the viewforum list or post counts seeming off. If that guy creates a new topic, people would see it in viewforum but it would appear empty when opened (not sure what phpBB2 does when that happens).

If there's a mod that allows users to blacklist others, maybe it would be easier and/or more effective to install that and backlist that person for everyone else automatically?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 am 

Salvatos wrote:
If there's a mod that allows users to blacklist others, maybe it would be easier and/or more effective to install that and backlist that person for everyone else automatically?

Now that is an idea. Some members support the ideas of this elderly member whilst the majority don't. It would be good to be able to turn off posts of individuals on a member by member basis. This being done from the members Profile "page" a bit like some software has a Friend and Enemy thing where you can stop individuals from PM'ing you.

Jim

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 am 

or maybe, http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?p=4027#4027

robert
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:43 am 

Hi Robert,
Yes I had considered the Troll Mod
http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?p=9740
However that would not make life any easier for me as he would constantly bombard me with emails complaining about bugs in the software and how I needed to do something about it.
The problem is that in his eyes he is right and everyone else is wrong. Just as an example here is a quote from a PM I received from him just a couple of days ago.
He has been warned several times by moderators about his attitude towards other members and their posts.

Quote:
I have sympathy with your task in coping with your moderators.

Since I replied telling him I had complete confidence in the moderators and they had my full support in any action they take he has gone very quiet icon_biggrin.gif but I somehow don't think he is going to be so for long.

Jim

Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 pm 

I just had an idea for a very quick, superficial fix if you can't find a proper blacklist MOD. Instead of outright removing posts from view, you could simply hide their contents for other users. Around line 1040 of viewtopic.php, after $message is defined, add:
Code:
   if ($userdata['session_logged_in'] && $userdata['user_id'] != $postrow[$i]['user_id'] && $postrow[$i]['user_id'] == 'THATGUY')
   {
      $message = "<details><summary>User reputation too low. Click to view message.</summary>" . $message . "</details>";
   }

Replacing THATGUY with the desired ID. Please keep in mind this is untested so you might want to try on a dummy account first if you don't have a test board. Unfortunately the details element isn't yet supported on IE and Edge so that might not be much help for a portion of your userbase and you might want to use a JavaScript equivalent instead or outright remove the option of reading his posts.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm 

Thanks. I could do with setting up a test board on localhost. I had one using XAMPP but lost it when I had a major hard drive crash a year or so ago.
The only downside that I see is that despite him being a cantankerous old git he does have some supporters who would be quick to alert him and then the emails would start. Probably the easiest solution would be to serve him with a final warning after his next misdemeanour (probably within days) and if he does not behave to ban him either permanently or for long enough to show him we mean business.
I have been very luck in that I have only had to ban three in nearly 15 years.

Off now to start work on a localhost site copy.

Thanks for everything guys.
It is nice to see that there is a little more activity on here recently. icon_smile.gif

Jim

Edit - decided to try WAMP but something missing in download so it would not install.
Back to XAMPP

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 am 

only you can decide how much crap you are willing to take from him just because he is a long time member etc.

I am very easy going but I do believe in following rules especially the ones that I make. icon_razz.gif

luck,
rob ert
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am 

In the previous post I mentioned that I would be doing a localhost copy of my site to try different ideas. I lost my last one after a hard drive crash.
For a long time now I have been using MYsqldumper to do site backups so was astonished that despite it having a restore function for large files failed at every attempt to insert the backup into my localhost database. This was backups that it had created.
Back to the old friend Bigdump and it restored the file first go. Can now test some ideas I have been given without fear of doing any harm to my site. I do of course make backups of any file I edit but accidents can happen.

The old guy is behaving himself at the moment.

Jim

vlad77
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:28 pm 

Ban it temporarily, for a day, then for a week, etc. He will have time and opportunity to improve.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 pm 

He has previously had a one month ban and came back I thought a different person as he did behave himself. However within a few weeks he had resorted to type and was his usual cantankerous self. The sort of thing that really gets up other members noses is when someone makes a post and he then posts saying that they are incorrect, he is correct and perhaps they would like to edit their post to improve the quality of it. The fact that many members agree with the original poster is irrelevant as he (the grumpy git) can not be wrong. I then get a PM or email from him suggesting that I either edit or remove the posts of those that have a different opinion to him. It is "not satisfactory" that they post ideas he does not support.
Eventually I shall have to permanently ban him. It is inevitable.

Jim

vlad77
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 am 

The idea is that each subsequent ban would be longer than the previous one. He will either correct himself or he will leave without waiting for a ban for example for a year.

In the attachment of a simple mod for a temporary ban.

tempban_1_1_5.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tempban_1_1_5.zip
 Filesize:  85.56 KB
 Downloaded:  153 Time(s)

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group