phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Data migration to modern forums... feasible?

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
kali
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:33 pm 
Post subject: Data migration to modern forums... feasible?

Like most of us, I'm clinging to this really old forum I'm still running on phpbb2. It is nice because it still works and the community, despite fading, still is there...

Long time ago we went as far as voting for a new version, seeing that phpbb2 was already too outdated and some users were demanding features from modern forums. We decided on vbulletin and even cashed in all together and got a license. Only to discover that:
a) vb at the time did not have a spanish langpack. this was a deal breaker
b) the testing site got spammed faster than we could try the migration
c) the migration script they promise to work seamlessly on the sales department, did not work properly

We stopped there and ditched our paid vb license, and stuck to phpbb2. Spam here was no longer a thing with a very tiny effort. Mostly because all those script kiddies are now targeting phpbb3.

Time went by and the situation has got worse with more users moving away mostly because of the lack of features. So we are re-evaluating our options.

Biggest problem now is, nobody seems to be able to migrate data away from phpbb2. VB's impex got discontinued by themselves, as they finally came to terms they could not make it work. Any other software out there no longer even know phpbb2 as a thing, and they all refer to simply phpbb which is of course v3.

So the question is, is there any kind of software or service which do offer data migrations from phpbb2? I won't even consider any options if this is not feasible, to be honest, i'd rather let the forum die of inactivity before killing it with a broken migration...

Myself I'm a seasoned sysadmin and mysql power user, but I haven't spent any time trying to decypher other forums' software and db structures enough to try and write a migration script of my own.

Maybe someone here has done anything remotely similar and is willing to share it?

Cheers
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 am 
Post subject: Re: Data migration to modern forums... feasible?

there is a convertor for phpbb 2 built into phpbb3 by default.
the conversion does not touch your phpbb2 board.
they both have to be installed on the same server.
then just follow the instructions and run the convertor.
It should work just fine.
you will not be able to keep any MODs you may have installed or any styles.
all of the forums/topics/posts will be there. all of the members will be there etc.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1213555
explains how to do it all.

luck,
robert
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:16 pm 

(And once you have your data running on a phpBB3 board, it should be much easier to convert it from there if you prefer to use a different forum solution.)
kali
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 pm 

ok that makes sense... i guess i will have to try that mid point

anybody here has experience with phpbb3 as a final destination? i remember trying it out years ago and it was horrific
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:15 am 

You're asking people with a fairly strong bias at that point icon_wink.gif.

Do note that you'll probably need to do phpBB2 -> phpBB 3.0 -> phpBB 3.1 -> phpBB 3.2 -> ...

Also, remember that you'll lose all mod data by default. If you got a subforum mod, also remember to put everything on the top-level before migrating.

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am 

I was just wondering what the extra functions are that his members are so keen to have and whether he could add them to his phpBB2 install. There are after all many hundreds if not thousands of add on mods for phpBB2.

Jim

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:20 pm 

Vendethiel wrote:

Do note that you'll probably need to do phpBB2 -> phpBB 3.0 -> phpBB 3.1 -> phpBB 3.2 -> ...

Also, remember that you'll lose all mod data by default. If you got a subforum mod, also remember to put everything on the top-level before migrating.

actually that is not quite correct.

converting from phpbb2 straight to phpbb3.3 works just fine.
I have never heard of having to put all your forums at the top level before. not sure why that would be the case.

robert
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
converting from phpbb2 straight to phpbb3.3 works just fine.
It used not to exist. I know I was told to do it this way when I helped someone.
lumpy burgertushie wrote:
I have never heard of having to put all your forums at the top level before. not sure why that would be the case.
Because phpBB2 had no forum nesting, so if you have it it's from a mod, and phpBB3 doesn't convert mods.
Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
kali
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm 

Vendethiel wrote:

I know, I am already aware of that. I am kinda biased myself and it's more like an internal debate about should I keep looking for answers or just let it be...

Vendethiel wrote:

I have really no mods, besides cosmetic ones and antispam ones. And most of them are more hacks than mods, made by myself, only to make my forum more not-upgradeable xD

Thanks for the tips though
kali
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
I was just wondering what the extra functions are that his members are so keen to have and whether he could add them to his phpBB2 install. There are after all many hundreds if not thousands of add on mods for phpBB2.

Jim

There are a few reasons to slowly fall outside of the forum...

First and foremost, most obvious one, is the lack of easy way to add pictures. The forum is a motorbiking community where most people used to post pics of their bikes, their trips and their fixes. Lots of them.

Back in the days they all used 3rd party hosting services, like imageshack. This lead to the inevitable facepalm when imageshack decided to wipe images from one day to another with no notice. I very much doubt there would have been any difference if they had given notice, because most old posts would not be reviewed by the original posters anyway.

In any case that was like the first nail on the coffin for the forum. Most of the very useful old posts became suddenly pointless, as the community pictures were offline, most DIY repair guides were no longer meaningful with the lack of explainatory pictures, and so on.

I did a coppermine gallery integration to allow users seamlessly upload their images to coppermine and modified coppermine's template to add very easy click-to-copy buttons for presized thumbnails, in bbcode, so they only needed to upload the picture on coppermine then copy the bbcode and paste it into the post. This was ok-ish, but it came at the same time when most people were already moving their social interactions to facebook anyway, where the biggest advantages where the social interaction was already there for most, and the unbeatable easiness to add pictures to your posts rendered the forum way too outdated and way too much of a hassle to use for the main purpose it was being used before.

When all of this happened, we had a massive round of spam attacks which make me spend most of my maintenance time removing spam, banning users and ips, and figuring out smarter ways to prevent it.

By the time I put all the measures in place it was kinda late already. Most people kept their forum accounts but seldom used it.

So, back to your question, fatures they missed the most:

- easy upload of pictures, within the posting screen (first and foremost)
- lack of usability from mobile devices
- tons of people asked about integration with tapatalk
- lately integration with some kind of oauth to register/login with google/facebook accounts
- generally, look and feel. so extremely 00's that no millenial has any interest on it. the style is also not vintage enough for it to gain traction
- search functionality is simply horrible
- private messages pretty much the same

Things I still like a lot about my forum:
- it has a great deal of custom made code so it is a bit like my little child
- it has almost no spam nowadays, mostly due to the combination of:
* phpbb2 is so obsolete that not even script kiddies are trying to exploit it
* i put a great deal of coding to detect spammers and ban them before entering
- sql scripts to find out massive registrations, non-regional ips, etc
- iptables rules automatically fetching public lists from firehol to block their connections on tcp
- and a few more tricks to prevent automatic and bulk registrations
- it has been running since 2006.03.30, with some users still active ever since
- it has resisted all sort of OS deprecations, and still served via php5 (although I finalised mods to move to php7)
- the community was so into it, they even participated in a crowdfunding campaign raising the full price for a VB5 license. We just never got to manage a proper migration, with several failures (e.g. data loss, incomplete/nonexistant translations to spanish, and plain massive spambombs)

So, well, yeah, give me some kind of drag and drop, seamless image upload (like VB) and I might stand strong on keeping it as is
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group