phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Why phbBB2?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Author Message
Nightrider
Board Member



Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Posts: 41
Location: St Petersburg, FL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:17 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Micheal wrote:
I'll admit that the templates in 3.0 are harder, but I don't think it is too much more to see the difference in say block variables. And there's always documentation and people willing to answer questions. icon_smile.gif I will say that when I was on the Support Team, I refused to answer questions on the styling/templating at first. It confused me, and I felt like that was the Styles Team job. However, after some playing around, I was able to make sense of it.

I had a phpBB3 admin come for help who wanted to create 3 columns in his community with the main board in the middle column. I spent an inordinant amount of time trying to help him achieve this goal and was only partially successful. I was not happy with the outcome. He later found and bought a package that accomplished exactly what he was trying to do. In phpBB2, I would have had no trouble with this task and quite possibly, the admin who came for help could have done it on his own. But neither of us could do this adequately on our own in his phpBB3 template code...

Again, perhaps if someone were to sit down and explain to me how to easily work with the phpBB3 template code, I might be able to do better the next time I try to tackle something like that. With phpBB2, I was able to figure it out quickly and easily on my own. If someone like me who has an extensive coding background has to struggle with the template code, how can anyone expect that a typical non-coding novice will ever get it???

I really wish I could get a better grasp of the phpBB3 template code, but having to struggle to learn it just doesn't seem conducive for a product intended for a growing community of mostly novices. Perhaps some day, someone will explain it to me in a way that takes the complexity out of it for me. And once I can fully understand it, perhaps I can pass that understanding on to many others as well...

Image link
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:24 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Image link

The topic is Why Phpbb2?:

I like the simplicity for users and admins.

You can not get that with phpbb3. Its not simply a learning curve because I know how to use it. I am not saying that their is no learning curve with a downgrade to phpbb3, because of that.. there is little doubt.
I consider the move to phpBB3 an upgrade. Is Office 2003 as simple as 97? Is phpBB2 as simple as phpBB1? Is Firefox3 as simple as Firefox2? Is PHP5.2 as simple as PHP4.0? the answer to all those question is unequivocally no, for the simple reason that the software has evolved. Sometimes the software is a mess (see Office 2007, which I purposefully did not mention above), but other times it is a necessity, such as PHP5.2 from PHP4 or phpBB3 from phpBB2. You don't like phpBB3, I get that, but phpBB3 offers a lot of things that users asked for. Did you watch the development of phpBB3? The permission system is one item that changed drastically, more than once, as the developers agreed with the users that it was too complex and difficult.

Quote:
I want members to be able to come in and post. Not sort through confusing tabs after tabs to find a function in their profile.

I do like tabs if they are used correctly but this is more of an abuse of tabs then anything else because nothing is clear cut for a new user.

Setting up your profile should not be a puzzle for a new user it should be short and sweet, all on one page and as simple as humanly possible.
I simply do not see any way that all of the profile functionality can fit on one page. The page would be extremely long and annoying to fill out and find what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Phpbb3 is a complicated mess. I don't want to spend days with each member guiding them through on how to set up their profile. I have better things to do.
And phpBB2 is spaghetti code that is on its last leg. icon_wink.gif Seriously, as the PHP 5.2.7 release showed, phpBB2 is barely hanging on from a technical standpoint.

Quote:
I like the aspect of the ACP that allows you to set up bbcodes with out having to dig through the root files. But I don't like HTML turned off so you have to set up a bizillion BBCodes to cover the html that is now missing.

I think the proper path to take was to make certain HTML tags admin only usage, Not cripple the boards by restricting all html.. That was just WAYYY over the top.
I can see your point, but what happens if someone gets admin access and uses the HTML code? They don't have to have BBCode access, just access enough to use HTML. Then you are right back where you started.

Quote:
The ACP should not be tabbed at all it should be just like the old ACP with an option to tab it if you wish too..Not the other way around..
As with the profiles, I think there is simply way too much to leave it the old way.

Quote:
There are so many fundamental blunders in phpbb3, that I won't even consider going back to phpbb3 until they are corrected.
There are so many fundamental blunders in phpBB2, I'm surprised that I used it as long as I did.

Quote:
This is what happens when programmers refuse to listen to the people that are using the software..
The problem is that the developers did listen to people. People wanted birthdays, the developers did not. People wanted attachments, they got attachments. People wanted subforums, they got subforums. People wanted bumping, they got bumping. People wanted Jabber, they got Jabber. People wanted warnings, they got warnings. The list goes on and on.

Quote:
I warned them at phpbb dot com that the ACP was way over the top before this happened, but all they could come up with was the words "learning curve", like it was a catch all for all the garbage they were inflicting on us to make it all ok. Well guess what. It's NOT all OK. Furthermore it never was OK. They just refused to listen to common sense. They were a closed minded bunch and had tunnel vision for their project. And the end result was very Microsoft of them.
You do realize that this makes you look ... well, I won't say what it makes you look like. icon_wink.gif The ACP is great in my opinion, I simply cannot understand how I got around in phpBB2.
Back to top
espicom
Board Member



Joined: 24 Nov 2008

Posts: 55
Location: Woodstock, IL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:25 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

The complexity of v3 is unnecessary for most people who "just want a board". The first time I saw the ACP in v3, I was, frankly lost. My v2 boards have a limited amount of ACP baggage (Attachment, Photo Gallery, some minor additions I'd made), compared to tabbed pages with a mix of this or that. Some options even appear in multiple places.

And I can see where the complexity is warranted, if you need "everything", but...

I think a "better" approach would be to default to approximately the same functionality being "active" as provided by phpBB version 2. Then provide a page in the ACP to activate each new feature, and its associated settings. Don't need Attachments? Until you turn it on, there's no Attachments management page.

Another thing that threw confusion at me was the "roles", compared to the old permissions. If I'm running a simple board, why do I need to know about "moderator" vs. "admin" roles, and why "admin" no longer implies "moderator" powers? Or "founder" vs. "admin"?

It's like totally disabling the "simple" permissions in v2 by default, and setting the defaults to "no one can do anything".

Hey, maybe that would be a good "MOD"... a script that would set up v3 to emulate v2 as much as possible, and let you activate what you need, when you need it... without presenting you with 437 options that mean nothing to you yet.
Back to top
SamG
Board Member



Joined: 12 Dec 2008

Posts: 48
Location: Beautiful Northwest Lower Michigan


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:30 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Image link

The topic is Why Phpbb2?:

I like the simplicity for users and admins.

You can not get that with phpbb3... And the end result was very Microsoft of them.

Is the topic why phpBB 2 or why not phpBB 3? There are a lot of reasons why phpBB 2 was and is a good bulletin board package. To be honest, I sometimes think what people really want is for phpBB 3 to have been phpBB 2.2; their only ongoing interest in phpBB 2 is because it didn't happen that way.

The lead developer of phpBB 2 is the one who made the decision to take phpBB in a different direction, to the end that we now have phpBB 3 rather than phpBB 2.2. That went down years ago now, something I take it many people don't know.

People who think there is life left in phpBB 2 need to feel that way primarily because they like phpBB 2, not because they abhor phpBB 3. This site can't build itself on rants and vents, it seems to me. It can do something constructive and valuable by supporting phpBB 2. Not just phpBB 2 users, but phpBB 2 itself.

If phpBB.com has gone too negative, do it different here, doggedly so. Prove it can be done. Draw people to the value of phpBB 2 and the fact that there is a site dedicated to keeping it up to date. Else I honestly don't see the point. Tempers will cool eventually, rants will die off, and phpBB 2 support will cool off as well. At least as far as this site's contribution is concerned.

I'm here, albeit as a watcher for now, because if there is any hope of seeing phpBB 2 remain a viable BB solution, it will be up to sites like this to make it so. A vocal, angry, ad hom lobbing few isn't phpBB 2's best hope. Real sites with consistently constructive environments are. Time is of the essence, and first impressions of phpBB 2's future matter.

Just my 2 cents, of course.
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

SamG wrote:
~Cowboy~ wrote:
Image link

The topic is Why Phpbb2?:

I like the simplicity for users and admins.

You can not get that with phpbb3... And the end result was very Microsoft of them.

Is the topic why phpBB 2 or why not phpBB 3? There are a lot of reasons why phpBB 2 was and is a good bulletin board package. To be honest, I sometimes think what people really want is for phpBB 3 to have been phpBB 2.2; their only ongoing interest in phpBB 2 is because it didn't happen that way.

The lead developer of phpBB 2 is the one who made the decision to take phpBB in a different direction, to the end that we now have phpBB 3 rather than phpBB 2.2. That went down years ago now, something I take it many people don't know.

People who think there is life left in phpBB 2 need to feel that way primarily because they like phpBB 2, not because they abhor phpBB 3. This site can't build itself on rants and vents, it seems to me. It can do something constructive and valuable by supporting phpBB 2. Not just phpBB 2 users, but phpBB 2 itself.

If phpBB.com has gone too negative, do it different here, doggedly so. Prove it can be done. Draw people to the value of phpBB 2 and the fact that there is a site dedicated to keeping it up to date. Else I honestly don't see the point. Tempers will cool eventually, rants will die off, and phpBB 2 support will cool off as well. At least as far as this site's contribution is concerned.

I'm here, albeit as a watcher for now, because if there is any hope of seeing phpBB 2 remain a viable BB solution, it will be up to sites like this to make it so. A vocal, angry, ad hom lobbing few isn't phpBB 2's best hope. Real sites with consistently constructive environments are. Time is of the essence, and first impressions of phpBB 2's future matter.

Just my 2 cents, of course.
That's what I've been trying to get across. You did a better job of it, as usual. icon_smile.gif
Back to top
Nightrider
Board Member



Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Posts: 41
Location: St Petersburg, FL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Micheal wrote:
I consider the move to phpBB3 an upgrade. Is Office 2003 as simple as 97? Is phpBB2 as simple as phpBB1? Is Firefox3 as simple as Firefox2? Is PHP5.2 as simple as PHP4.0? the answer to all those question is unequivocally no, for the simple reason that the software has evolved. Sometimes the software is a mess (see Office 2007, which I purposefully did not mention above), but other times it is a necessity, such as PHP5.2 from PHP4 or phpBB3 from phpBB2.

Sometimes developers can over develop their products. I know of several products off-hand that were nearly perfect until the developer went too far. There is a need to continually upgrade until the product is literally useless or too complicated to use. Sometimes they lose the functionality or ease of use that made their products great in favor of change. SmartFtp and 1st Page are perfect examples of products that were over-developed. M$ went from W98 to WME, which was considered one of the biggest disasters ever. Coca Cola made the mistake when they introduced New Coke. Coke learned its lesson and went back to the original recipe. Change for the sake of change isn't always good or an improvement...

Image link
Back to top
~Cowboy~
Board Member



Joined: 08 Dec 2008

Posts: 297
Location: Chicago


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Micheal wrote:
~Cowboy~ wrote:
Image link

The topic is Why Phpbb2?:

I like the simplicity for users and admins.

You can not get that with phpbb3. Its not simply a learning curve because I know how to use it. I am not saying that their is no learning curve with a downgrade to phpbb3, because of that.. there is little doubt.
I consider the move to phpBB3 an upgrade. Is Office 2003 as simple as 97? Is phpBB2 as simple as phpBB1? Is Firefox3 as simple as Firefox2? Is PHP5.2 as simple as PHP4.0? the answer to all those question is unequivocally no, for the simple reason that the software has evolved. Sometimes the software is a mess (see Office 2007, which I purposefully did not mention above), but other times it is a necessity, such as PHP5.2 from PHP4 or phpBB3 from phpBB2. You don't like phpBB3, I get that, but phpBB3 offers a lot of things that users asked for. Did you watch the development of phpBB3? The permission system is one item that changed drastically, more than once, as the developers agreed with the users that it was too complex and difficult.

Thank you for making my point for me. Phpbb.3 went Microsoft on us. There are ways to add options to a piece of software with out making it Microsoft in one direction or AOL in the other direction.. They took a user friendly piece of software and took the user friendly out of it. Thats a downgrade in my book.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
I want members to be able to come in and post. Not sort through confusing tabs after tabs to find a function in their profile.

I do like tabs if they are used correctly but this is more of an abuse of tabs then anything else because nothing is clear cut for a new user.

Setting up your profile should not be a puzzle for a new user it should be short and sweet, all on one page and as simple as humanly possible.
I simply do not see any way that all of the profile functionality can fit on one page. The page would be extremely long and annoying to fill out and find what I'm looking for.

I can see it fitting in one page very easily. So what if you have to scroll down some.. We have been doing that for years and it has never caused an issue.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
Phpbb3 is a complicated mess. I don't want to spend days with each member guiding them through on how to set up their profile. I have better things to do.
And phpBB2 is spaghetti code that is on its last leg. icon_wink.gif Seriously, as the PHP 5.2.7 release showed, phpBB2 is barely hanging on from a technical standpoint.

You can try to fall back on that point if you wish but it would have been better to sort through the "spaghetti" and line up all your "meat balls" then it would be to grind it all up and make something entirely unrecognizable and complicated mess out of it.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
I like the aspect of the ACP that allows you to set up bbcodes with out having to dig through the root files. But I don't like HTML turned off so you have to set up a bizillion BBCodes to cover the html that is now missing.

I think the proper path to take was to make certain HTML tags admin only usage, Not cripple the boards by restricting all html.. That was just WAYYY over the top.
I can see your point, but what happens if someone gets admin access and uses the HTML code? They don't have to have BBCode access, just access enough to use HTML. Then you are right back where you started.

If they get Admin access your back where you started anyway. You can't save idiots from themselves...They will find a way to screw it up no mater what you do. In the mean time you will taking admin power out of the hands of competent admins to save a few idiots.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
The ACP should not be tabbed at all it should be just like the old ACP with an option to tab it if you wish too..Not the other way around..
As with the profiles, I think there is simply way too much to leave it the old way.

There certainly is not. I have already did this before I converted back to phpbb2 and it was fine. It was FARRR easier to get directly to where you wanted to be.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
There are so many fundamental blunders in phpbb3, that I won't even consider going back to phpbb3 until they are corrected.
There are so many fundamental blunders in phpBB2, I'm surprised that I used it as long as I did.

Oh I know there are things that needed to be fixed I do not dispute that. The fact of the matter is the approach to this was all wrong. It was far to aggressive and went towards taking control out of the hands of the administrator and trying to protect him/her from themselves. This is just crazy. It's like trying to protect a driver from going to fast by putting a speed bump every 6 feet in the expressway. Sure its safer but you really can't expect a rational human being to like it.

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
This is what happens when programmers refuse to listen to the people that are using the software..
The problem is that the developers did listen to people. People wanted birthdays, the developers did not. People wanted attachments, they got attachments. People wanted subforums, they got subforums. People wanted bumping, they got bumping. People wanted Jabber, they got Jabber. People wanted warnings, they got warnings. The list goes on and on.

I see common sense did not prevail here.. Some things should just remain Mods don't you think? I can see the subforums... I can see the attachments even although phpbb is a forum not a file host...but I'll give you that one.. But Birthdays??Bumping??Jabber?? Some things should just be left mods else the project gets to large and heavy. I can even see an Ip log Like Codecrush being integrated.. but birthdays?? Come on...

Micheal wrote:
Quote:
I warned them at phpbb dot com that the ACP was way over the top before this happened, but all they could come up with was the words "learning curve", like it was a catch all for all the garbage they were inflicting on us to make it all ok. Well guess what. It's NOT all OK. Furthermore it never was OK. They just refused to listen to common sense. They were a closed minded bunch and had tunnel vision for their project. And the end result was very Microsoft of them.
You do realize that this makes you look ... well, I won't say what it makes you look like. icon_wink.gif The ACP is great in my opinion, I simply cannot understand how I got around in phpBB2.

Yes, It makes me look like I know what people really want and need. Do you realize what your comments make you look like? I'll be nice and not say either.

_________________
Image link
We are not refugees we are trail blazers. icon_wink.gif
Back to top
Nightrider
Board Member



Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Posts: 41
Location: St Petersburg, FL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

~Cowboy~ wrote:
I can see it fitting in one page very easily. So what if you have to scroll down some.. We have been doing that for years and it has never caused an issue.

Like I said before, I installed the UCP MOD in my phpBB community and everyone hated it. We took a poll and not a single member voted that they liked it. So I uninstalled the UCP MOD and returned to the original Profile. I have gone to Area 51 to make a change in my Profile only to have to click around searching for what I want to do. It takes far longer to find what I want to change than it does in a one page Profile. I don't enjoy wasting my time searching for a setting change and neither did my members...

The same problem exists in phpBB3's ACP. It can take a long time to figure out where to make a setting change in phpBB3's ACP. Perhaps if I was in there often, I would eventually figure out where everything is. I'm not that interested in having to learn it though. It is so much easier to find what I need in a typical phpBB2 ACP...

Image link
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:40 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Thank you for making my point for me. Phpbb.3 went Microsoft on us. There are ways to add options to a piece of software with out making it Microsoft in one direction or AOL in the other direction.. They took a user friendly piece of software and took the user friendly out of it. Thats a downgrade in my book.
Nice how you conveniently ignored everything else I said.

Quote:
I can see it fitting in one page very easily. So what if you have to scroll down some.. We have been doing that for years and it has never caused an issue.
It isn't "scrolling down some," it is a whole lot of scrolling, and a lot of organization problems. Tabs are there to organize the profile.

Quote:
If they get Admin access your back where you started anyway. You can't save idiots from themselves...They will find a way to screw it up no mater what you do. In the mean time you will taking admin power out of the hands of competent admins to save a few idiots.
So you'd rather risk your users so you can have some functionality that can be safely added and used with BBCode?

Quote:
Oh I know there are things that needed to be fixed I do not dispute that. The fact of the matter is the approach to this was all wrong. It was far to aggressive and went towards taking control out of the hands of the administrator and trying to protect him/her from themselves. This is just crazy. It's like trying to protect a driver from going to fast by putting a speed bump every 6 feet in the expressway. Sure its safer but you really can't expect a rational human being to like it.
Taking control out of the admin's hands? So this isn't about the capabilities of phpBB3, because phpBB3's permissions system is one of the most capable systems out there, but this is about HTML. As has been explained many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times over, if you want HTML, add a BBCode that allows you to use HTML. phpBB2 tried really hard to limit HTML usage to the tags configured by the administrator, but it failed. Many times. phpBB3 took out that possibility of the system failing, for everybody's benefit.

Quote:
I see common sense did not prevail here.. Some things should just remain Mods don't you think? I can see the subforums... I can see the attachments even although phpbb is a forum not a file host...but I'll give you that one.. But Birthdays??Bumping??Jabber?? Some things should just be left mods else the project gets to large and heavy. I can even see an Ip log Like Codecrush being integrated.. but birthdays?? Come on...
You can't have your cake and eat it too. You complain that the developers didn't listen to users, but when I give examples of the developers listening, you complain. Make up your mind.

Quote:
Yes, It makes me look like I know what people really want and need. Do you realize what your comments make you look like? I'll be nice and not say either.
No, your comments make you look like you are trying to be better than everybody else. You don't understand what it takes developing a project such as phpBB. You try to take in to account everybody's wants, make decisions on what's best left for other versions or not at all, and you still have people complain. You can't suit everybody.
Back to top
roadhog
Board Member



Joined: 19 Nov 2008

Posts: 96
Location: Central Texas


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:48 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Okay, please forgive me gents, 'cause I'm just an ignorant old country boy, trying to keep my phpBB2 board alive and well. I stopped going to "the other site", about a year ago, because of reasons already enumerated in this thread, together with the fact that I felt abandoned, ("hey boy - you can upgrade to v3, or you can go to hell").

To cut to the chase, my question is: "Why am I seeing such passionate arguments on this board, enumerating all the great features of phpBB3, when the only reason we are here in the first place, is to get away from it, so that we can try to keep phpBB2 alive and well?"

The other site already promotes phpBB3 - I thought that the purpose of this board was to put our heads together to try to preserve and nurture phpBB2. Is that an unrealistic expectation?
Back to top
Nightrider
Board Member



Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Posts: 41
Location: St Petersburg, FL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:59 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

roadhog wrote:
I thought that the purpose of this board was to put our heads together to try to preserve and nurture phpBB2. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

And you would be right. Those who have refused to upgrade to phpBB3 or who have "upgraded" then decided to go back to phpBB2, have done so for many good reasons. There are bound to be many who disagree with our reasoning, which is their right. But it does seem odd that they think that they might be able to change our minds while ignoring our reasoning for why we won't be upgrading. Perhaps they simply enjoy the heated debate? It seems like an exercise in futility to me...

Image link
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:01 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

roadhog wrote:
Okay, please forgive me gents, 'cause I'm just an ignorant old country boy, trying to keep my phpBB2 board alive and well. I stopped going to "the other site", about a year ago, because of reasons already enumerated in this thread, together with the fact that I felt abandoned, ("hey boy - you can upgrade to v3, or you can go to hell").
Nobody spoke to you like that. Please do not exaggerate.

Quote:
To cut to the chase, my question is: "Why am I seeing such passionate arguments on this board, enumerating all the great features of phpBB3, when the only reason we are here in the first place, is to get away from it, so that we can try to keep phpBB2 alive and well?"
There is a lot I'm trying to correct. For example, it was thought that phpBB3 had a lot of security problems, I corrected that. You guys want to stay with phpBB2, I respect that, but please don't disrespect those who choose to move to phpBB3.
Back to top
Nightrider
Board Member



Joined: 10 Dec 2008

Posts: 41
Location: St Petersburg, FL


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:10 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Micheal wrote:
You guys want to stay with phpBB2, I respect that, but please don't disrespect those who choose to move to phpBB3.

You are in a phpBB2 community preaching the virtues of phpBB3. Your response to Cowboy above didn't sound very respectful to me. He has explained to you his reasoning for sticking with phpBB2, but you don't seem content with his decision. Why do you continue to preach the virtues of phpBB3 in a phpBB2 community? WE have just as much right to stick with phpBB2 as you do to move up to phpBB3. So why continue???

Micheal wrote:
roadhog wrote:
("hey boy - you can upgrade to v3, or you can go to hell").

Nobody spoke to you like that. Please do not exaggerate.

Perhaps not in those exact words, but the attitude was very much the same. So what do you think they would say to roadhog or others when they go over to phpBB.com asking for help with their phpBB2 foruma since they are no longer supporting it? They certainly aren't going to offer him the support that he requested and needs...

Image link
Back to top
SamG
Board Member



Joined: 12 Dec 2008

Posts: 48
Location: Beautiful Northwest Lower Michigan


flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:11 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

roadhog wrote:
I thought that the purpose of this board was to put our heads together to try to preserve and nurture phpBB2. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

That's a good question, I think. We have an EOL open source software product that hasn't really outlived it usefulness, but we have alternative project supporters who haven't operated a vanilla phpBB 2 in years and so aren't exactly phpBB 2 supporters in a strict sense, and we have a lot of hard feelings surrounding phpBB 3. Just where the bright spot in all this is for phpBB 2 long term isn't exactly clear to me yet.

And yet, it isn't impossible. So here's hoping...
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:32 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Nightrider wrote:
Micheal wrote:
You guys want to stay with phpBB2, I respect that, but please don't disrespect those who choose to move to phpBB3.

You are in a phpBB2 community preaching the virtues of phpBB3. Your response to Cowboy above didn't sound very respectful to me. He has explained to you his reasoning for sticking with phpBB2, but you don't seem content with his decision. Why do you continue to preach the virtues of phpBB3 in a phpBB2 community? WE have just as much right to stick with phpBB2 as you do to move up to phpBB3. So why continue???
He wasn't exactly nice either ...

Quote:
Micheal wrote:
roadhog wrote:
("hey boy - you can upgrade to v3, or you can go to hell").

Nobody spoke to you like that. Please do not exaggerate.

Perhaps not in those exact words, but the attitude was very much the same. So what do you think they would say to roadhog or others when they go over to phpBB.com asking for help with their phpBB2 foruma since they are no longer supporting it? They certainly aren't going to offer him the support that he requested and needs...
The same that has been said: "If you like, we can assist you in upgrading to phpBB3. There are also alternative communities to assist you if you would like to stay with phpBB2."
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 6 of 10 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group
Powered by phpBB2 © phpBB Group
Generated in 0.0968 seconds using 16 queries. (SQL 0.0025 Parse 0.0637 Other 0.0306)
phpBB Customizations by the phpBBDoctor.com
Template Design by DeLFlo and MomentsOfLight.com Moments of Light Logo