phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Why phbBB2?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Nightrider
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:45 am 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

Micheal wrote:
He wasn't exactly nice either ...

It seems to me that this is where the respect got thrown into the ditch:

Micheal wrote:
You do realize that this makes you look ... well, I won't say what it makes you look like.

Before that, the discussion revolved around phpBB, but then it began to degenerate at this point. I don't see any evidence that Cowboy was disrespectful to you in any way but then you started to make it personal. Cowboy is a phpBB2 user in a phpBB2 community. He has given you plenty of good reasons why he is sticking with phpBB2, yet you continue to preach the virtues of phpBB3. What's the purpose? You had your say so why continue? You are in a phpBB2 community, not phpBB.com...

Micheal wrote:
"The same that has been said: "If you like, we can assist you in upgrading to phpBB3. There are also alternative communities to assist you if you would like to stay with phpBB2."

Perhaps that's what you might say. Perhaps you might even include links to the phpBB2 support communities. But can you vouch that everyone will respond in the same way over at phpBB.com? The truth is, you can't and that is not an exaggeration. That is a fact...

Image link
Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:48 am 

Nightrider wrote:
Micheal wrote:
He wasn't exactly nice either ...

It seems to me that this is where the respect got thrown into the ditch:

Micheal wrote:
You do realize that this makes you look ... well, I won't say what it makes you look like.

Before that, the discussion revolved around phpBB, but then it began to degenerate at this point. I don't see any evidence that Cowboy was disrespectful to you in any way but then you started to make it personal. Cowboy is a phpBB2 user in a phpBB2 community. He has given you plenty of good reasons why he is sticking with phpBB2, yet you continue to preach the virtues of phpBB3. What's the purpose? You had your say so why continue? You are in a phpBB2 community, not phpBB.com...
Fair enough, I shouldn't have said that and I apologize. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Micheal wrote:
"The same that has been said: "If you like, we can assist you in upgrading to phpBB3. There are also alternative communities to assist you if you would like to stay with phpBB2."

Perhaps that's what you might say. Perhaps you might even include links to the phpBB2 support communities. But can you vouch that everyone will respond in the same way over at phpBB.com? The truth is, you can't and that is not an exaggeration. That is a fact...
No, but I have seen others say the same thing.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 am 

I think the development of phpbb2 should go one way and the development of phpbb3 should go another direction. I see a obvious fork in the road here.

Phpbb3 can continue to sterilize phpbb until there is nothing left, and phpbb2 can continue to develop the original product.

Nightrider
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 am 

I agree. Like the Mozilla projects. We now have Netscape, Seamonkey, Firefox, etc each based on the Gecko software. I see no good reason why phpBB2 should stop development at 2.0.23. I would love to see phpBB2 continue to evolve in its own direction independent of what is being done in phpBB3. It really makes sense...

Image link
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:37 am 

Look at the biggest forum over the net (gaiaonline?com) was (and is still) running with phpBB2 (really moddified but phpBB2 core anyway).
SamG
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Phpbb3 can continue to sterilize phpbb until there is nothing left...

At phpBB.com, there is at least the common sense policy disallowing alternative product bashing. I have yet to see a single negative comment about phpBB 2 support sites there, though it's possible they exist and I've missed them.

Relentless phpBB 3 bashing accomplishes nothing constructive and necessarily fans the flames of contempt you all complain about. It trivializes the work of phpBB developers from psoTFX on to today. It trivializes the judgment of satisfied phpBB 3 users. I'm just an ordinary phpBB user and have no clout here, but I'm willing to stick my neck out just one more time and appeal to the better side of this community and ask that a different tone prevail here than the one you all claim has been harmful at phpBB.com. It will not help the phpBB 2 life cycle, which is already far from assured, to keep dripping acid all over phpBB 3 and phpBB.com. This isn't war unless you here declare it to be one, since the phpBB Group haven't so far, to the best of my knowledge.

Again, if phpBB 2 support's greatest strength is disgust with phpBB 3 and phpBB.com, then the end of phpBB 2 is already all but assured, in my view. It would be sad to see it go out in a pool of venom.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:57 pm 

Ram wrote:
Look at the biggest forum over the net (gaiaonline?com) was (and is still) running with phpBB2 (really moddified but phpBB2 core anyway).

All big forums still use phpBB2. icon_wink.gif The people who did the mistake of converting, make them forum unpopular and soon empty. icon_rolleyes.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:23 pm 

One of the biggest phpBB boards, bokt.nl, has switched to phpBB3.

But what does all this matter, why can't we over here not just stick to talking about phpBB2?

Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:59 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
Ram wrote:

All big forums still use phpBB2. icon_wink.gif The people who did the mistake of converting, make them forum unpopular and soon empty. icon_rolleyes.gif
Last I checked, phpBB.com was rather large itself. As I mentioned earlier, and was mentioned again, bokt.nl is on phpBB3. So that immediately kills your absolute right there. icon_wink.gif

Thank you SamG, once you again you have more eloquently stated what I've been trying to.
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:05 pm 

It would be very amazing if phpbb.com was stayed with bb2. icon_eek.gif

I speak about independant community.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:25 pm 

SamG wrote:
Relentless phpBB 3 bashing accomplishes nothing constructive and necessarily fans the flames of contempt you all complain about. It trivializes the work of phpBB developers from psoTFX on to today. It trivializes the judgment of satisfied phpBB 3 users. I'm just an ordinary phpBB user and have no clout here, but I'm willing to stick my neck out just one more time and appeal to the better side of this community and ask that a different tone prevail here than the one you all claim has been harmful at phpBB.com.

Well said, thank you, SamG.

I'm going to close this topic for a few days to let it cool off.

This site is about supporting phpBB2. This topic was supposed to be about why folks wanted to stay with phpBB2. I would like to see positive comments about phpBB2 rather than negative comments about any other baord solution, including phpBB3.

As SamG observed in a prior post in this topic, at phpbb.com there is a rule prohibiting topics comparing Board X to Board Y for just this reason. Thanks for understanding, and this topic will re-open next week if anyone wants to continue under that constraint.

Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:59 am 

dogs and things wrote:
One of the biggest phpBB boards, bokt.nl, has switched to phpBB3.

But what does all this matter, why can't we over here not just stick to talking about phpBB2?

mozillazine.org as well.

gaiaonline.com was based off of phpbb2 but they will never convert to phpbb3 - they have made too many modifications to it to convert - they would have to redo their whole website to move to phpbb3 and they are not going to do that.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:29 pm 

When they have to wrangle the slew of complaints like I did,.. they will be considering converting back, I'd bet on that....
Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
When they have to wrangle the slew of complaints like I did,.. they will be considering converting back, I'd bet on that....
I somehow doubt that, given that they haven't done so yet. None of the sites that have been mentioned so far have done so yet.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:

They don't have to be converted back already to be considering it. icon_wink.gif

I on the other hand have already converted back. icon_biggrin.gif

Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 7 of 10 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group